Wouldn’t it be great if there was just a standard time that all social media marketers knew to be the best time to post their content? What if we knew that at 3pm every day, whatever post we shared on Facebook, would get the most reach, likes, and shares? How totally cool would that be?
The reality is, it’s just not that simple. Well, it is but it’s not. Today I am going to teach you how to determine what content of yours is doing well which will, in turn, tell you what your audience likes and if you know what your audience likes then you know what to post!
Today we are going to dive into insights and how to read them to determine the best time to post on Facebook.
Back in January of 2015, Meet Edgar (one of my favorite social media tools) posted a How To Guide about the best times to post on Twitter and Facebook. Last month, Hootsuite posted an article that discussed the best time to post on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in 2016.
Both posts are excellent but neither one really says when the best time to post on Facebook is. What they do say is that “everyone’s best times to post are different.” HA! Jokes on me, because I really want someone to wave a magic wand and just tell me when to post.
So, the REAL question is this…… when is the best time for me to post my stuff on Facebook? Or in the case of this post, when is the best time for you to post your content on Facebook?
Here’s how to determine when the best time to post your stuff to your Facebook page:
- Go to your Facebook page
- Click on the tab at the top that says “Insights”
- Right away you are led to a page under the “overview” section. Here you can decide what you want to see.
- Scroll down the column on the left to “posts”
- You will then see “when your fans are online” and the “data shown for a recent 1-week period”.
The numbers at the top in the 4500-4300 range represent how many of your fans are online on any given day. So for example, on Monday, 4,480 of your fans were on Facebook, 400 more than on Friday.
The chart below is an average timeline of when your followers are online throughout the day. You can mouse over this timeline to determine exact numbers and exact times that they are on.
- Now click “post types” next to “when your fans are online”.
- Facebook will show you what types of posts got liked and shared the most and which ones got the best statistics.
- If you scroll down a bit further you will see exactly what posts those statistics are referring too. For example, one of my top posts that had the most reach, and was shared a lot, was a video. It was published on a Tuesday at 9:30 pm.
By looking at the “published” column on the left, you can determine which of your most popular posts were published. This is definitely valuable information because if you are really wanting to know when the best time to publish your content to Facebook is, these insights are literally telling you. Your “reach” says which post was seen the most.
The equation is not always going to be perfect but it does give a really good look into what your followers like and when they are on Facebook. For me, that means between 3 – 9pm during the week and between 9am and 9pm on the weekends. Oh….and my audience really likes videos!
Now that you know how to check your Insights to see when your fans are on Facebook and what they like, you have a better understanding of what and when to post on your Facebook Page. With this information you are slowly getting closer to understanding when and how to use Facebook Ads.